International Student Visa Guide
This visa guide for international students will help to get an insight into the overall procedure and method for respective countries. A visa is an authentic document that allows an individual to enter a foreign country and also enable an individual to stay there for a definite period. Visa is issued by the immigration authority of the respective country, which carries a complex set of methods and procedures. A student visa is a distinctive endorsement added to the government passport issued to the students enrolled at qualified educational institutions. A student visa is a non-immigrant visa and does not require the holder to obtain citizenship. In the context of visa guides for international students, many countries issue a student visa that allows international students to attend the colleges and schools within the borders. Therefore, any prospective student seeking higher education in another country should obtain a student visa from that country.
Moreover, student visa requirement differs from country to country. As a result, students are not aware of the visa requirements procedures and the application procedure that is followed by the countries. Therefore, this visa guide for international students will help them to get an understanding of the requirements procedures and the methods that one needs to go through when procuring student visas. Going through this visa guide for international students will help the students get insight from filling the Visa form to secure the student visa after the interview. The following visa guide for international students will include all the key elements.
Moreover, this visa guide for international students is an ideal manual for the students seeking to study in the universities, colleges, and other prominent educational hubs of different countries.
This visa guide for international student provides guidelines to every problem that the student may face and provide the best solutions to them. This visa guide for international students has a proper segregated section based on the countries. Moreover, this visa guide for international students’ represents and follows a systematic route that fosters in providing the best and concrete solutions to the students.
As one of the most popular destinations for international studies and the home of globally reputed institutions, many students seek to study in the USA. The students who intend to seek admission in college and universities in the USA should adhere to the guidelines. General steps that the prospective students need to go through while applying for US student visa are:
Apply to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Approved Universities and Institutions:
As an international student, one should ensure to choose an institution or a program that is accredited by US government student and exchange visitor program. Accreditation ensures that the degree is recognized by other university employers, professional associations, and government ministries worldwide. Only SEVP can enroll students and provide documents that are necessary to apply for the US student visa. Therefore, one needs to fulfill institutional admission requirements, and one is usually asked to provide proof of sufficient financial resources. Once accepted by an institution, further process is facilitated by the SEVIS system. A SEVIS generates a document called Form I- 20 is sent if one is eligible for an F or M visa.
Filling of DS – 160 Forms:
All the non-immigrant visa application should determine the visa type, which they are entitled to who according to the stated norms. After selecting the specific visa category, the students need to complete the DS-160 form, a non-immigrant visa electronic application form. After filling, it is submitted online, and a printed confirmation should be brought for the interview. When filling up the form, the student should ensure that they fill the form accurately by providing authentic information. It includes details like personal details, passport details, and health information background with the new pre-specified format passport-sized photographs.
Payment for SEVIS Fee:
The applicant should pay the requisite amount after submitting the form, which confirms that the application is non-refundable and non-transferable. Upon successful payment of fee, an automated receipt is generated by mentioning the date and time of the visa appointment interview. The generation of the receipt may take the time up to 2 business days.
Confirming the visa appointment:
After getting the receipt of the successful payment of the visa fee, the students can log in to the profile and schedule their appointment through the respective dashboard of their profile. Every applicant has to go through two appointments, one at the visa application center and another one at respective US Embassy or consulate. In the visa application center, the photos and the fingerprints of the applicant are taken, and in respective US consulate, the final visa interview will be taken.
To appear for the final Visa interview, the student should receive the visa center appointment. It is mandatory to visit the center according to the specified date and time, failing to which the individual needs to schedule the whole procedure again. The interview is mandatory for those belonging to the age group between 14 to79. Also, one must ensure to bring all the necessary documents along with them which are
- Signed SEVIS form I -20 or DS -2019
- Form DS- 7002.Sevis fee receipt
- DS- 160 application confirmation page
- Fee payment confirmation receipt
- A printed copy of the visa interview appointment letter
- Passport size photographs
- The candidates should also bring some documents like academic certificates, proper identity proof, documents as evidence, and sponsorship details in the visa interview.
Along with these steps, the students who are seeking to get student visas to need to fill up Form I -20, which includes the detailed information of the student. Form I- 20, a certificate of eligibility for the non-immigrant student, needs to be filled by the students who are applying for F1, F2, M1, and M2 visa. A non-immigrant student needs to fill up form DS 2019 to get J1, J2 Visa. Official permission is one of the primary prerequisites for getting a student visa in the USA.
- At times the students need to extend their stay in the country. To extend the student visa, one needs to file the request to the US citizenship and immigration service through the Form I-539.
- The form should be duly filled and presented to the concerned authority before the visa duration expires.
- If the application is submitted after the completion of the stay, the request would not be entertained.
- It is recommended to apply at least forty – five days before the US student visa expires.
Also, one should ensure that the VISA will be sanctioned under only the following conditions where:
- Within the stay, the concerned student or the applicant has not violated any rules in the country.
- The passport remains valid until the intended period of stay.
- The reason may be on the grounds of medical issues or deferral of pursuing the course.
Essential Criteria for Getting a Student Visa
There is a list of basic requirements that have been provided by the office of immigration for the students who intend to get US student Visa.
- The students who wish to study in the US must procure clearance from US citizenship and immigration services.
- Have an understanding and proficiency in American English.
- Should have sufficient funds and resources to meet the cost of residential expenses and the academic program.
- Should adhere to all the specifications and the requirement as per the respective visa status.
Types of US Student Visas
There are numerous options for students wishing to pursue their education in the USA. The following Visa guide for international student will also throw light on the different types of USA student visa, which are as follows:
It is one of the most common forms of visa documents when an international student intends to pursue an academic degree in an accredited university or college. F visa is issued by the US embassy and consulates, which is situated outside the USA. There are three types of F visa:
F1 Visa: These are issued to full-time college students. Therefore the duration for F1 students is for a fixed period of time, which covers the length of the training period plus any optional practical training and cannot be longer than one year.
F2 Visa: These are for the dependents of F1 visa holders can be unmarried, children below the age of 21, or a spouse.
F3 Visa: Visa for border commuters who reside in their own country but can take education in the USA. The US grants F3 to the citizens of Mexico and Canadian students who live in the country of origin while attending part or the full-time school in the US.
Students with F 1 visa can work on campus for 20 hours a week or less. Other than an on-campus job, people with F1 visas are not allowed to work in the USA without permission. The holders of F2 Visa can enroll themselves in graduation and high schools with permission from the concerned authorities.
The second category of USA student visa is for the international students who want to engage themselves in non-academic or vocational study or training programs. M visas are of three types.
M1 Visa: This Visa is for students to engage in vocational or non-academic studies. The student of M1 Visa can remain in the country for a fixed duration, and the duration ranges up to 1 year, which may be extended on medical grounds. The dependence of parents of F1 visa holders will get the M2 Visa. The students of M1 Visa are also not allowed to work in the country and cannot change the visa status only in the exception of special situations.
M2 Visa: Visa for dependents of M1 visa holders.
M3 Visa: These are for border commuters just like in F3 Visa but for vocational or non-academic studies.
J1 Visa: It is a particular form of non-immigrant Visa issued by the US authorities to the professor, research scholars, and exchange visitors. It is a special issue of Visa for the people participating in programs in the US that promote cultural exchange, medical courses, business training, etc. The applicants need to fill-up the form DS 2019 to meet the eligibility criteria for proficiency in English, and a verified authority must sponsor the respective program. Holders of J visa stay in the US are usually for a short period, perhaps one or two semesters. J1 Visa holder can remain in the USA for an additional 30 days after its termination, which is known as the Grace period. J2 Visa is for the dependents of J1 visa holders.
The following visa guide for international students will also provide an insight into the visa procedure for the students of Australia. Australia has also remained in the top countries for higher education. Sydney Melbourne and Adelaide are among the three main prominent educational hubs. Thousands of international students come to pursue their studies and professional training courses. The students who intend to study in Australia’s institutions need to apply for a visa at the Department of Immigration and Citizenship of Australia or DIAC. It is under the immediate jurisdiction of the Federal government of the country which operates the overseas study program under which the non-Australian students can apply to study in the country. The Visa is granted only to those students who register for a full-time course or can be a learning certified training course by the Australian government. The education system of
Australia is divided into four tiers which are
- Vocational education
- Training and higher education
Australian Student Visa Requirement
Any individual who wishes to get an Australian Visa requirement should fulfill some general conditions, which are as follows:
Financial requirement: Evidence of sufficient funds that cover the traveling, tuition, and living cost.
English proficiency requirement: The individual, who is not from an English-speaking country, will have to prove that he or she can speak English to the required level. The eligibility test includes IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Health requirements: Individuals may have to go through medical or radiological checkups to show that they are good in health. Moreover, the applicant should get an overseas student health cover issued by the verified insurance provider.
Types of Student Visa
The following visa guide for international students will also focus on the types of student visa for Australia:
Subclass 570 (Independent ELICOS): The students who undertake the English language intensive course for overseas students (ELICOS) Australia are eligible for this type of Visa. It allows one to stay in Australia to study the all-time English language intensive course for overseas students.
Subclass 571 (School sector visa): It allows one to stay in Australia to study a full-time school course. The students or the applicants intending to study the following program are eligible for
- Primary schooling
- Secondary course schooling
- An approved secondary school exchange program
Subclass 572 (Vocational education and training sector): This type of Visa is meant for students seeking to pursue full-time vocational education or training course including certificate I II III and IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma.
Subclass 573 ( Higher education sector): This Visa is for the international students who want to stay in Australia and pursue a full time higher education course like a bachelor’s degree graduate diploma or graduate certificate.
Subclass 574 (postgraduate research sector visa): This type of Visa is for those international students who want to pursue postgraduate research. In such kind of visa subclass, the students can pursue a master’s research program and a doctoral degree in various subjects.
Subclass 575 (Non-award sector visa): This Visa is meant for the students who want to study a foundation course or a full-time course.
Subclass 576 (Foreign affairs or defense sector): These are meant for international students who are sponsored by AusAID or defense to study a full-time course of any type.
Subclass 580 (student guardian visa): This is meant for those international students who want to stay in Australia as:
- Guardian of an international student whose age is less than 18 years.
- In exceptional circumstances as a guardian of the student above 18 years of age.
Assessment of Australia Student Visa
The department of immigration and border protection (DIBP) consider visa applications on individual merit. The assessment level streamlines the process, which allows the department to deliver fast and efficient service to the students in maintaining the integrity program of Australia. There is five assessment level for the student visa program from level 1, representing the lowest immigration risk to assessment level 5, representing the highest immigration risk.
Assessment levels are decided by the passport held by the students and Visa subclass that the student is applying for. Even though there are five levels of assessment, the applications of the international students are categorized into three levels, which are AL 1, AL 2, and AL3, that are determined based on immigration risk. AL 1 having the lowest immigration risk, whereas AL 3 having maximum immigration risk. In exceptional circumstances, the students may be awarded and assessment level category falling in AL 3 or AL5. Assessment level serves as statistical indicators as a student of every country are assigned to separate assessment level, which is based on qualification and other factors. Some of the essential factors that determine the assessment level of the applicants are:
- Country of residence and citizenship
- Educational sector
- Pursuing course
The requirement of Student Visa Documents
The department of home affairs has a document checklist feature that provides the students that they need to get an Australian student visa. Therefore, the students need to submit the following documents, which are as follows:
- Computed Australian visa application form ( 157 A)
- Confirmation of enrolment
- Paid visa application fee
- Certificate of enrolment or letter of offer
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Recent passport photographs
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and passports
- Penal clearances
Application Process : Steps to Apply for Visa
The following portion will serve as a visa guide for international students when applying for an Australian student visa.
Apply in Schools and get a CoE:
Students can apply for a student visa in two ways.
Directly to the educational provider: The students can download the application form of the respective education provider and submit it with all the relevant information and details.
An Authentic education agent: There are several agents that work for the institutions of Australia. Therefore, the student can send their applications along with the documents to these agents.
As one identifies the academic and career goal, one should start to research the college of the universities offering the courses along with determining the location fees and course duration. After conducting the proper research before one can apply for a student visa in Australia, one should be enrolled at an Australian school. After receiving an offer letter from the school and one has paid the tuition amount, the school sends a confirmation of enrolment (CoE). It is the very primary document to begin the visa application. Like most of the Australian Visa applications, a process online; therefore, they need electronic confirmation of enrolment. After confirming the admission in the respective college of the university, the student can start the procedure of the visa application process.
Creating an Account with Australian Immigration Authority:
To apply online for an Australian visa, one needs to create an account with the Australian immigration authorities. To create an account, one needs to submit the details like name, contact number, and email address that facilitate the creation of a password and accept the conditions. Once an account is created, the individual can log in through their personal profile and fill out 157 A. The applicants need to add as much information as possible, as the forms with missing data may face rejection. Students also need to attach supporting documents along with the form. Therefore, the student must ensure to have all the documents in the digital format like a
- Certificate of enrollment
- An OSHC health insurance
- Proof of temporary stay
- Additional ID documents like birth certificate
- Proof of bank proof
- Prove that one has enough knowledge to pass the intended studies like great certificate reports and IELTS test results.
- Proof of documentation of criminal offenses if one has ever been convicted.
Tracking the Application:
After forming an account and submitting the form, the applicants need to keep track of the application. It serves as a medium for an individual to check the process of the application, along with it also provides an opportunity to manage their profile. An individual can update the passport details, attach complementary documents, and save the application, or can change their email ID for further communication. Transaction reference number after the submission is generated. The transaction reference number facilitates the students to check the Visa entitlements and also lets them know about the timing when to communicate with authority for the visa interview.
Genuine Temporary Entrant:
Australian Federal government from the year 2011 introduced a special measure known as general temporary entrant requirement. It ensures that only the genuine candidates and the applicants receive the Australian student visa. It also helps to eliminate visitors who just want to visit the country with other motives rather than receive education and knowledge. This test is evaluated in the visa interview by the consulate officer who looks in the following things:
- The applicant immigration history
- The present circumstances of the student family and the respective country.
- If the applicant is below 18 years, the parent’s intentions would be judged and evaluated.
- Any other important matters as decided by the council officer.
The result of the genuine temporary entrant application for further steps is processed as it is only a small part of the total visa interview process.
Health Checkup and interview:
Depending on the location where one wants to study has to undergo a health checkup and Visa interview. When one receives the information after completing the application, a TRN is generated. A scheduled day and time is provided to the student or the applications. One should reach the venue of the visa interview, which is generally in the embassies high commissions, or the City consulates of Australia. One should also provide supporting evidence and documents as per the requirements and the assessment level.
Getting a visa decision:
The time is taken to get the visa decision depends on where an individual is applying or how busy the Australian immigration authorities are. Generally, it takes a couple of weeks once an individual application is complete. One can check the status of the application by logging into the immigration website.
The Federal government of Australia only issues visas on a temporary basis that allows the students to stay in Australia for a specified period of time. The duration depends upon the course that individual wishes to pursue. However, due to some reasons, students may increase their tenure. Therefore, they need to apply for the continuation before the end of the present visa duration. They can extend the duration on the following terms:
- For further studies
- In completion of the ongoing course
Therefore, the students can apply for the visa extension by applying online or through the appointment. The application should be accompanied by the letter from the concerned institution, validating the extension period along with the reason.
UK student Visa requirements are managed by UK visas and immigration. UK has been identified as the second most desired destination for international students just after the USA. Oxford and Cambridge are the most prestigious universities in the world which are established in the UK Thousands of students are attracted to study in such eminent institutions that are internationally recognized. Therefore, the students who want to pursue their academics need to secure a UK student visa.
Student visa allotment is managed by the UK government home office. If an individual is from the European economic area or a Swiss National, then one does not need permission from the authority to enter and stay in the country for at least three months. However, one needs to authorize the stay if one is willing to reside in the UK for more than the stipulated period. Therefore, all non-European economic area nationals need to have a UK student visa that wants to study a course that may last for longer than six months. However, students who are not from the Swiss national or European economic area need to have a student visa to enter the country; therefore, one needs to accomplish some general requirements to an avail student visa.
Steps to get UK Student Visa
Checking if one qualifies:
To study in the UK, one needs to acquire a tier 4 visa. UK student visa application is processed within three weeks of the completed application. Therefore one must be able to show that one has
- Confirmed admission at the school, university, or college where one wants to study, and it is called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (COE).
- Maintenance of funds that would cover the course fee and living costs in the UK.
- If the applicant is under age 18, then one will require the parents to accompany and should have made a proper arrangement of residence in the UK.
- The students or the applicants are allowed for research and training if they are already enrolled in a recognized course.
Get the Document Ready:
- One should ensure to provide every document that should include the original document and photocopy of it.
- A signed copy of the completed visa application form
- A valid passport
- Passport size color photograph which meets the photo guidelines
- Evidence of the confirmed place at the university
- Any previous passports that reveal the latest history travel.
- If a document that is not in English must be accompanied by a full translation which can be verified.
- Bank statement for the last six months.
- Health certificate
- Contact information about the guardian and the parents in the home country
- Admission letter and the documents about the course.
- Academic certificates of the school and the colleges.
One needs to register and create an account on the official UK Visa website. After completing the online application form, one needs to print it. One needs to print the signed and completed form. One should ensure to book an appointment at the visa application center. As soon as one has completed the online application, one will receive an email message containing the application number.
Pay the Application Fee:
There are four ways to pay for the student visa application fee.
Payment at standard chartered Bank: One can pay the fee at some branches of the Standard Chartered Bank through a demand draft in favor of the British High Commission.
Demand draft from a Foreign Bank or Nationalized Bank: One can pay the fee by getting a demand draft issued by a foreign or a nationalized bank where bank charges may vary. The draft should be in favor of the British High Commission.
Payment at the visa application center: One can pay visa application fees at the visa application center when submitting the visa application.
Pay online: One can pay the visa application fee by using a MasterCard credit or debit card or Visa card.
Visiting the Visa Application Center on the Appointed Date:
- One can book and attend an appointment at the visa application center.
- Moreover, all the applications should reach the visa application center at least half an hour before the scheduled time, and according to the application number, the candidates are provided with the token numbers.
- The respective consulate officer will check the documents and process the visa application sanctioned. The applicant will receive an acknowledgment receipt.
- The visa application center having its own biometric information collection center, will scan all the digital print of the finger photographs and retina.
- The applicant receives all the original supporting documents as the procedure is completed, and the status of the application will be notified to the applicant through SMS on mail as preferred by the applicant.
Types of UK Student Visa
Most of the international students will need a tier 4 general student visa to study in the UK One can apply for this if one is 16 or over. One needs to wait until an offer from the college of the university before applying for the student visa as university will be giving a document called a confirmation of acceptance of study. Therefore the following types of UK student visas are.
Tier 4 general student visa:
This is the conventional student visa, which is required for courses lasting for longer than six months. The applicant can apply for the Visa from inside or outside the UK provided that the applicant has been offered a place in a course and can understand English to an appropriate level for the course. Moreover, one should be financially stable for the duration of the course. The visa length depends upon the duration of the course, and one can apply to extend if wishes to stay in the UK to work to pursue further studies.
- The basic eligibility to get tier 4 general student visa are:
- Letter for the confirmation of acceptance from the education provider
- Adequate funds or sponsorship details to meet up the cost of pursuing the course.
- The course must have a rating of at least six from the national qualification framework.
- It should be a full-time course module with organized studies or should have at least 25 hours each week.
The documents that are required for tier 4 general student visa are as follows:
- Passports with at least six months more validity than the expected period to stay in the UK.
- Passport sized colored photographs within the guideline.
- Health certificates.
- Statement from the banks, of attest six months.
- Academic transcripts, statement of marks, and the letter of permission of the last institutions.
Tire 4 Child Student Visa
This child student visa is for the children aged between 4 to 17, who want to study in the school in the UK The application is to be applied from outside the UK and is conditional on the placement in a school or the consent of a parent or guardian. Also, one should ensure that the living and the course cost can be covered. The minors who belong to the EEA state or Switzerland do not require any official permission.
One should have an offer in the certified course with a licensed tier 4 sponsor. Moreover, the parents of the minor should have enough money to support themselves and child education. The course in which the applicant is admitted should be taught according to the guidelines of:
- School education inspection standards
- National curriculum
- National credit framework.
The documents that are required by the applicant of tire 4 child student visa are:
- A valid passport and travel documentation
- Color passport photograph as per the guidelines
- Proof of parental or legal guardian content
- Health certificates
- Birth certificate
Short Term Study Visa:
The short term visa is given to those applicants who want to do short courses in the country. Such a visa is available to those students who want to join courses that are up to 6 months long or English language courses that are 11 months long. From such visas, one can get enrolled in short training and development courses, and the programs cannot exceed 11 months. Students are prohibited in taking admission in full-time courses in the colleges of the universities; also, they are not permitted to carry out any work or business in the country.
The students who are eligible for short term visa are when
- They have got admission to a certified course in the UK, which has proper accreditation.
- One needs to provide substantial evidence and prove that they can support themselves and bear the cost throughout the course.
- If the student is below the age of 18, it will require the parents to accompany them having proper arrangements made for residence in the UK.
The documents that are required to apply for short term visa one need to furnish
- Digital photograph within the set guidelines.
- Bank statements for the last 6 months
- Health certificates
- Admission letters and other academic documents.
- Identity proof
Singapore is famous for its tourist destination and a top option for international students seeking world-class education and a sophisticated lifestyle. It is deemed as one of the largest and strongest financial centers having the strongest economy. It is home to many internationally recognized institutions that attract thousands of students from the globe. Some of the universities in Singapore are among the top 50 institutions in the world. Also, it offers the best education from the kindergarten to the tertiary level. One of the most important documents that allow one to study in Singapore is the student visa, which is also known as student pass. Every student needs to get a student pass, but some are exempted from it.
- If dependent cardholder studying in the Ministry of Social and Family development registered institution.
- The student holds a short visitor term and intent to pursue a course with less than 30 days.
- The applicant visits Singapore for industrial training or internship program that is lasting for less than a month.
- The student holds the immigration exemption order.
Requirements for Singapore Student Pass Application
There are some conditions which the applicants need to qualify to obtain student pass are as follows:
- Student needs to present the application to the SOLAR (Student Pass Online Application and Registration), which is the Singapore official registration system.
- The application should be made at least one month before the start of the academic year or the semester.
- The candidate should file an application, and the application should be accepted by the respective institution, which the student needs to authenticate when produced before ICAI.
- The applicant should also have the desired academic credentials and education qualifications. The applicant should be within the age limits as specified by the course.
- The student needs to go through medical checkups from authorized medical practitioners, and therefore to study in Singapore. One must be free from every type of contagious disease.
- The student also needs to fill up the immigration and checkpoint authority Form – 16 and Form V 36 to get student pass.
- A student who is looking for employment in Singapore after the completion of the study can apply for the visit pass to stay in Singapore for one year.
- Within a week after the study program is completed, the student pass should be surrendered to the immigration office.
Application for Student Pass
If the applicant is 19 years old or below at the time of application and wishes to attend the full-time course from an approved Private Education Organization (PEO) application needs to be processed by the Singapore immigration and checkpoint Authority (ICA) directly. However, if the applicant is above 19 years old when applying and wishes to attend the language commercial vocational or fine arts postgraduate or graduate degree course an interview may be required by the embassy
When applying for a student pass, the student may be required to obtain a student permit based on the pursuing course, which is as under:
Institute of technical education:
If an applicant is planning to apply to some eminent technical institutions, one needs to have a local sponsor. Local sponsor is mandatory to apply for a student pass for technical education. The local sponsor should be above the age of 21 and a citizen of Singapore having a permanent resident of the country.
New application: The candidate should apply at least one month before the intended course starts. A new mechanism has been started by Singapore authority from the year 2009, known as a SOLAR system, which is a student’s pass online application and registration system.
The educational provider will issue a registration acknowledgment letter (RAL) as per the SOLAR mechanism. With reference number provided by the SOLAR mechanism in the registration acknowledgment letter, the candidate can log in to the respective website and fill the application form. The applicants are required to complete Form 16 for the student details and eV 103 for the student parents. For filling up the details, the local sponsor needs to login to the SOLAR sponsored application and submit it to ICA for further processing. The sponsor needs to fill up the form of V 39 and V 39 Q.
The documents that are required to apply are:
- Letter of admission from the universities.
- Free completed application forms and Visa receipt, which can be paid through cheque, demand draft.
- Passport and minimum at least two recent passport size photographs.
- Proof of funds for the entire duration of the study, which includes fixed deposit, bank statement, student or educational loans, etc.
- Birth certificate
- Academic transcripts, TOEFL/ IELTS, highlights score reports, degree certificates
- Statement of purpose, resume, and reference letters.
- Vaccination documents and certificates as per the requirements of the country and the university.
- Health and travel insurance, which is optional.
Fees and Processing time: The application that is submitted to ICA bears a processing fee of $ 30, which is non-refundable even if the application gets rejected. An issuance fee of $ 60 is paid when the application is accepted to successfully procure the student pass. The processing time is generally five full working days excluding the day of application, and in some cases, it may take a longer time if the forms are not completed or filled properly.
Polytechnic College and University
Other than students of immigration exemption order holders, applicants need to take your permission from Singapore authority. Some of the most prominent institutions in Singapore are Singapore Polytechnic, National University of Singapore, Nanyang Polytechnic, Singapore institute of technology and design, etc.
- To apply for the student pass, the students should submit the application 45 days before the course commences. The application should be submitted to the student to pass the online application and registration system, which is the mechanism to accept an application from the international students.
- The student needs to register into the SOLAR system. Before submitting the application, the institute of higher learning (IHL) should register the student on the website. The education provider needs to provide the information which is as follows
- The personal detail of the student, along with the nationality and the date of birth.
- The details of the intended course duration that would help in generating the SOLAR application reference number.
- As soon as an institute of higher learning registers the student in SOLAR, the student needs to possess the registration acknowledgment notice and SOLAR application reference number to login to the website. The applicant should ensure to fill the forms accurately with the details which are as follows:
- Details of the passport background and family information.
- National registration identity card status and number if the student parents belong or have some connection with Singapore.
- Recent passport size photograph.
- Form 16 is required to be submitted that is mandatory to generate, and one should ensure to keep a form as proof of the successful submission.
Fee and processing time: Fees of $ 30 are charged during the time of submission that is made online, which is not refundable even if the application gets rejected. A further issuance fee of $ 60 is paid when the student receives the pass. The processing time may vary from 5 to 10 working days or may take a longer time to process in the peak season. Therefore, one should apply as before as possible to avoid the delay in processing time.
Key Points to Remember
- The successful applicant gets an approval letter that is given by ICA through the education provider that should be attached to the IPA letter.
- ICA tries to conduct enrollment to issue students pass with the collaboration of the institute of higher learning and can organize an offsite enrollment.
- The students need to book appointments online for personal interviews using an appointment facility, which schedules the day and time of the interview. A student should adhere to the timings strictly.
- On arrival, students or the applicants need to report to the student pass unit and complete the rest of the formalities.
- Students studying in polytechnics colleges of the universities also have permission to work in Singapore. They can work full-time during the vacations, and during the term, they can work 6 hours a week.
Extension of Student Visa
Students are entitled to get an extension if pursuing a full-time course in Singapore. They will receive an extension if
- The ongoing course is not complete.
- The applicant or the student wishes to pursue further higher education.
- The student is ill and has to stay back on medical grounds.
- Holidays and tourism.
- The student intends to pursue a job after the completion of the study. After the completion of the degree program that international student can apply for one year visit pass to ICA if looking for employment opportunities which can be done online through e- VP.
Visa rejection could be one of the worst nightmares. To get a student visa, the applicant spends countless hours and effort getting a student visa, and seeing it getting rejected is a disturbing sight. The immigration department of any country can deny a visa if it is seen not to achieve all the requirements and the criteria that are under the guidelines. However, visa denial is not permanent and can be revoked if the correct procedure is followed. Some of the reasons, which can deprive an applicant of a student visa are as follows:
- Lack of proof confirming necessary return after the completion of education.
- The students are found to submit fraudulent documents.
- The applicants submit the incomplete form.
- The applicant has violated rules of immigration previously or found that their Visa has been earlier denied for some strong reasons.
- Disembarkation/ embarkation card (through form 27A).
- Lack of sufficient financial funds and proof to support education.
- Inadequate language or communication skills.
- Failure to explain by the applicant why one is choosing a particular course or university.
- The applicant has a criminal record or if the consular finds that the individual can be a threat to national security.
- Inability to produce satisfactory answers during the interview.
- If the candidate is unable to provide a strong reason to return after the completion of the course.
- If the applicant is found having some contagious or communicable diseases.
- The student’s provides a passport, which does not have the necessary validity and is going to expire soon in the near future.
- Not fully prepared for the interview.
- Document discrepancies or delayed applications.
When the applicant is denied the visa permit, they are informed by the authorities and are also informed about the reason why their Visa got canceled. The applicants can revoke their visa application, if they are not found to be denied on some serious grounds like cheating, fraudulent purposes, or a security threat. The applicants are notified about the exact reason for their visa refusal. They, therefore, just need to fill up a new application form with the additional documents that are being asked for. As the initial amount for visa application is not refundable; therefore, the applicants need to furnish the same amount again.
Overcoming the Problem
One should keep the necessary points in mind to overcome the problem that the applicant has faced in the previous rejection.
- If the user has been rejected due to finances, one should ensure that the finances are clear before applying.
- If the visa rejection was due to inappropriate information that can be rectified, one should check it thoroughly before applying.
- The intention of visiting the country was not there; one should ensure that the applicant strongly portrays and convinces the visa officer when applying for a student visa.
- The details of the course, university, and the department should be on the fingertips if one did not sound ready and well informed in the previous visa interview.
- If one was nervous in the previous Visa interview, therefore, one should ensure to be practical, honest, confident, and clear with the facts for the interviewer.
Sample Student Visa Questions
A Visa interview is one of the most important steps to get the final confirmation of the student visa. Getting approval for most countries like USA UK, Australia, and Singapore takes some time; therefore, the interview could fasten or delay visa processing. Thus, these become crucial for the applicant to prepare for the interview and address all the concerns of the visa officer. The lengthy process of its application terminates at a personal visa interview that takes place at the immigration office or embassy or consulates. Hence, the applicant needs to convince the offices to get a student visa. One needs to attend the interview with all the required documents also the applicant face questions from such categories:
- Study plan
- Choice of University
- Academic credentials and capability
- Financial status and sponsorship details
- Future plans after the completion of the intended course
- Why did you select a specific course, and why one wants to study in that country?
- What is the academic background?
- Why did one select the course and how relevant it is to the previous study?
- Why can’t one continue the course in the home country?
- How will it help an individual to pursue the prospective course?
- What is the scope of the course?
- What does one know about country education?
- What does one want to do after the course?
- Does the individual have a career or job in mind after the course?
Choice of University:
- In which institute or the university an individual got admitted?
- In how many universities and colleges has an individual applied?
- Does the individual or the applicant know about the course structure?
- Details about the institution?
- How will the university benefit the individual?
- Reason for choosing a particular university?
- A number of subjects are also taught in other universities, but why this university?
- Individual thoughts about the city in which the university is located?
- Reason for applying to the university and not to another University?
- How did one get to know about the university?
- Does the individual know any professor in that university and their details?
Academic credentials and capabilities:
- What are the test scores (GRE, GMAT, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS)?
- What are the previous GPA?
- How good is English?
- How will the individual manage the cultural and educational differences?
- Does the individual have the requisite specialization if applying for the technical course?
- Why does one want to pursue a degree course in that particular country?
- What are the subjects that one is going to take for 1st semester?
- Financial status and sponsorship details
- Who is paying for education?
- How are they able to pay for the course and their professional background?
- What is the monthly income of the person who is going to sponsor the studies?
- More information about father and mother job and income, and how long they have been working?
- How much does the university cost for a year?
- More about sponsors’ annual income?
- Present the current bank statement?
- If an individual is planning to stay for 2-3 years, how will one finance the education and the living?
- Did the individual got offered a scholarship at the school?
- Presenting the tax returns?
- Does the individual have relatives or friends in the country?
- Does an individual have job career goals after completing graduation?
- What are the plans after post-graduation?
- What are the plans after graduation?
- Does the individual or the applicant plan to return back to the home country?
- Will the applicant continue to work for the current employer after graduation?
- Would the applicant like to study or work in the pursuing Nation?
- Is the applicant sure that he or she will return to the country after the completion of the studies?
- How can one prove that the applicant will definitely return after finishing the studies?
- What are the expectations after having completed the study and returning to the home country?
- Why did one choose a specific country than other countries to study abroad?
- When does the course start and when does it end?
- Where is the applicant going to stay?
- How will it benefit the applicant by studying abroad?
- Will the applicant abide by the rules of the country?
- What are the career goals, and if one is planning to go somewhere else?
- What are the plans if the student visa is not approved?
- What let the individual changed the field or career?
- Does the applicant think about why he or she deserves to get a student visa?
- How much can the applicant earn after completing the studies?
- What will one do during the off period/ semester?
Visa Interview Tips
The visa interview is the last step towards the study abroad plans and can make or break the plans if one cannot crack it. Countries like the USA, UK, Singapore, and Australia have mandatory as well as conditional interviews as a part of the student visa application process depending upon the completeness and the strength of the visa application. Here are some of the few tips that make the job easier for the applicant in the student visa interview process:
Practice English as Often as Possible:
English is the official language that is used in countries like the UK, USA, Australia, and even Singapore. Therefore, one must possess strong knowledge about the language as the interview would be held in English. Thus, it is important for the applicant to be able to exhibit proficiency in English, as this would help in communicating with the embassy or consulate officers. Moreover, it would also help in further studies, and one can practice it by watching English TV shows, reading books in English, etc.
Attachment with the home country:
The applicant should convince the officers of the immigration department that they do not have any other intentions than studying in the country. Every applicant should ensure that they have enough attachment to the home country and have strong job prospects in the home country.
Keeping answers to the point:
The applicant should give quick and complete information to the visa officer proving that one has good English communication skills that would help in making a good impression. However, if one is not able to answer some questions, one can ask for an interpreter. This would not affect the outcome of the interview, as many students choose specifically to study in our country to learn the English language.
The applicant should not give vague answers and should not make overstatements. Therefore one should always prepare a little before the interview.
Carrying supplementary documents:
The applicant should bring all the documents to the study visa interview like
- Copy of visa photo
- Official School transcripts
- The test scores that the applicant has used for the university application
- The diploma or the degree program approval that the applicant has received etc.
Therefore, one should always carry the supporting documents that would help in validating the information provided by the applicant. Also, one should ensure to give concise replies to develop an impression that will happen to augment the procedure.
Preparing for common questions in the visa interview:
One should prepare for the common questions for the visa interview as the interview you generally wants to know about
- If the applicant is a legitimate student.
- That the applicant has the means to pay for the studies
- That the applicant can return home after completing the degree.
Therefore applicants should prepare some common questions.
Detailed knowledge about the pursuing program:
The applicant should have comprehensive knowledge about the program that he or she is interested in pursuing. Hence, one should be aware of every detail of the pursuing program. The applicant should be able to extract some exclusive information about the university or the college and share it with the officer to develop its credibility.
The applicant should ensure to wear business attire as the student visa interview is a formal event, and one should treat it accordingly.
Proper attitude during the interview:
One should have a decent attitude throughout the interview with a neat and presentable appearance and answering every question with confidence.
Preparing an explanation:
It is important that the applicant should prepare an explanation for the most common visa interview questions that would help them in answering in a presentable manner.
The applicant should be confident, stay calm, projecting a positive and confident image.